Pages

Sunday, December 31, 2017

SL Profile Threats

I'm always fascinated by the profile and pick verbiage that reads something along the lines of:

So mess with XXX and you'll have me to deal with!

Or

Fuck with XXX and I'll make you pay!

Not only are these needlessly threatening, they're needlessly useless. I've always wondered what, exactly, you're going to do. I know I'm supposed to be intimidated, I guess, but that's not exactly the reaction I have. Humor mixed with bafflement really sums it up better. Does anyone think these things through? What, exactly, are you planning on doing? Even idle threats to the world at large needs something to back them up if they're to be seen as legitimate. These threats aren't. They're just distasteful.

I'm mainly curious because I'm seeing these types of warnings and threats more often. Maybe I'm just paying attention or, perhaps, it's just something I've noticed so now I actively look for it. It does seem to be a trend, and I wonder if it's an overall social trend, or just people in SL doing their thing. Like friendship and love is now measured in how much you'll threaten or try to hurt others. I don't understand that. I really don't.

Celebrate the people who are special enough to put in your profile and your picks. Don't taint that love with trying to be a badass. It's unbecoming, no one's intimidated, and it really brings that love down a level. If anything, it seems selfish, like you're using your affections as a tool to boost your own sense of self-importance. All that said, I'm painfully aware that I'm not up on the newest fads, so I'm very likely missing something.

Regardless, if I have any dealings with XXX, the rest of the planet - including those who make idle threats - can rest assured that our interactions will have absolutely nothing to do with a warning in a pick. I'll never be really concerned with what anyone else thinks about that, threat or no threat. I have a sneaking suspicion I'm not in the minority there, either.

No comments:

Post a Comment